Linking to URLs on the web (was Useful Training pages...)

Alastair Smith, DLIS, Victoria University, New Zealand Alastair.Smith at vuw.ac.nz
Mon Apr 22 14:20:08 EDT 1996

>On Thu, 18 Apr 1996, Melinda Brown wrote:
>> I think it's different in that the number of people who cite an author
>> has little impact on the author's ability to conduct his/her daily
>> business, while the number of people who link to a site can have a great
>> impact on the server it resides upon.

The comparison of Web links with print citations may be a bit more like the
custom of authors providing off-prints (which does have a direct impact on
the author)

Alastair Smith                               |Alastair.Smith at vuw.ac.nz
Department of Library and Information Studies|Voice: +64 4 495 5233 x 8687
Victoria University of Wellington            |Fax:   +64 4 496 5446
PO Box 600, Wellington, New Zealand/Aotearoa |http://www.vuw.ac.nz/~agsmith/