Mac servers

Kevin Justie kjustie at nslsilus.org
Thu Apr 18 16:29:51 EDT 1996

Our web site currently resides on our regional library system's server, but
we're considering setting up our own server.  Our library is entirely
Macintosh, and our server will be, too (and, btw, there's no need trying to
convice us that a UNIX or NT server is better :-) ), so my question to
those of you using Mac web servers is: what model is your Mac server, what
level of usage (hits) does it support, and what kind of response times do
you get from it?  As a small-to-medium sized public library, we won't be
getting an enormous number of hits, perhaps a few hundred a day, but do
intened to make extensive use of index searching and cgi links to in-house
Hypercard databases (the main reason we need our own server), which is
supposedly a bigger drain on the CPU than simply serving up static pages.
On the web pages for their servers, Apple quotes hit rates several orders
of magnitude larger than what we would ever have, but I don't know how
meaningful those figures are in real life, or how much they might be
affected by line speed (ours will likely be a 56K line) or cgi.

Thanks!

Kevin Justie
Head of Technical and Automated Services
Morton Grove Public Library
Morton Grove, IL
(847) 965-4220
kjustie at mgk.nslsilus.org
http://www.nslsilus.org/mgkhome/
Opinions expressed are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect
offical Library policy.