Notable librarians and researchers?

Nick Arnett narnett at Verity.COM
Thu Apr 18 13:38:23 EDT 1996

This is a bit off-topic, but I beg your indulgence.  Verity is moving into
new headquarters in a couple of months and we're looking for creative names
for 28 new conference and project rooms.  As some of you on this list know,
I believe that our success depend in part on gaining the perspectives of
technologists, marketeers and librarian/scholars in our software.  The
latter is the most difficult one to involve, so I'm hoping to raise
awareness by suggesting that we name the rooms after notable librarians or
researchers who made great use of libraries... or perhaps even historically
significant libraries.  Unfortunately, I'm rather ignorant of who the
pioneers in this field are.  I'd greatly appreciate suggestions from you,
names with a sentence or two about who they were.

For example, having grown up in Pittsburgh, the name Andrew Carnegie is
forever etched in my brain, so he's on my list, even though his library
skill focused on writing checks, I guess.  I'm also thinking about Aldus
Manutius, though he was more of a bookseller than a librarian...

Feel free to respond to me directly, rather than cluttering up the list.
I'll post a compilation to the list in a few days.

I need suggestions quickly!

Thanks.

Nick