PointCast -Reply

Jian Liu jiliu at nickel.ucs.indiana.edu
Tue Apr 16 22:47:33 EDT 1996

It is supposed to update the news source at intervals, and you can see it
is accessing the network from the icon and the hard drive begins to spin
busily. But it is often the case the news is not updated at all. So it
adds to network traffic.

I don't like the screen saver. You have to click the mouth to get rid of
it and it is slow to go away and if you click on the wrong place, you
accidentally make a link to the site represented on the screen saver.  I
removed the screen saver after a few days, but there was a update of the
software a few weeks later and the update put the screen saver back
without asking me. I removed the screen saver again.

It didn't happen often, but it froze my machine at least twice now,
both over night.

In order to get the update, the program has to be run all the time,
even if minimized. It takes up your resources.

You never know what can be written on your harddrive and what can be taken
away from your harddrive.

Mostly it carries Reuters news, which though free for the time being,
will not remain free. Besides, most of the news is available elsewhere,
with ease.

I don't like to have a constantly changing and glaring ad at the corner
of my eye (I know I can hide it, but still you can't avoid it).

It does not allow you to copy and paste. So if you want to show it to
somebody, even if it is a sentence, you have to print the whole thing.

The web browser is so primative.

I entered the survey and answered No to the question whether I would
recommend it to my colleagues.

Jian
Indiana University Libraries