"Archiving" e-journals

Barbara Stewart stew at library.umass.edu
Tue Apr 16 13:44:52 EDT 1996

Dear Bob,

Just my luck...the first time I play devil's advocate, I get a reply from
a Reverend ;-)

> Unfortunately, not all material of historical significance was preserved.
>
> Some things are worth preserving and keeping archivally. I'd submit that
> juried web journals should have each page perserved.  Those that have
> charge of them have a moral responsibility to our society and their
> profession to save the best of their discipline.
>
> My point, I guess, is that preservation
> is a serious issue and if librarians and archivists don't champion it,
> who will? It is worth the time to weigh the value of e-docs and preserve
> those that chronicle our times.

I agree with everything you've said here.  However, if each of us doesn't
make a decision about what to archive IMMEDIATELY, then indeed these
materials will be lost.  How can this issue be addressed?

--
Barbara Stewart, Latin American  Cataloger
W.E.B. Du Bois Library, Univ. of Massachusetts, Amherst
stew at library.umass.edu