internal pages

Elmer R. Masters ermaster at mailbox.syr.edu
Fri Apr 5 11:56:20 EST 1996

Barbara Moore wrote:

> Does anyone know of a web site -- University or otherwise -- which
> makes a distinction between internal and external information?  Here
> at the University of Rochester we are debating the pro's and con's
> of having an internal and external home page or having a link from
> the home page that says something like "internal stuff of interest
> to the University community but may be boring to others."
>
> This is not internal information that we want to restrict from outsiders;
> rather it is internal information that some outsiders may want to see but
> on the whole "clutters" up the page.
>
> That's how one group of people see this issue.  Another group says,
> people will work around this internal information.  It's too confusing
> to maintain two separate pages.
>

> Barbara Moore
> Assistant Director of Libraries
>  for Computer Systems and Applications
> University of Rochester
> Rush Rhees Library
> Rochester, New York 14627
> bmoo at db1.cc.rochester.edu
> (716) 275-9330
> I am developing an intranet for the College of Law at Syracuse.  The
goal of the project is to provide users with the information that they
want in an easy to use format.  Homepages are being developed for
various departments and user groups.  The server filters client requests
by IP and delvers the appropriate page.  The pages point to essentially
the same core of information, but the top level page layout varies
depending upon the needs of the user.
Additionally we are developing a mechanism that will allow users to
create and place pages within departmental sites.  This information will
be intended for internal use.  The pages will be created using MS Word
and the Internet Assistant and saved in a special directory on our
Novell LAN.  The files will then be moved into the appropriate place on
the web site.
If you would like any more info, just ask.
Thanks,
--
Elmer R. Masters
Information Technology Coordinator