Mac servers

Peter Brueggeman pbruegge at gort.ucsd.edu
Fri Apr 19 13:38:02 EDT 1996

Regarding msg from jhart at h5.avcnet.org (Jim Hart)
Subject: Re: Mac servers
"The Apple Internet Server has been a testbed for accessing
FileMaker Pro databases from the Web, which may be most similar
to what you are planning to do.  Based on the slowness of
response I've seen, I would suggest that you get the biggest
machine you can afford with as much memory as possible.
Performance will be especially important if the Hypercard
stacks and cgis aren't running constantly...."

Preston Holmes, pholmes at ucsd.edu, the Webmaster for my
library's PowerMac Web server notes:

For those writing CGIs for Mac servers you should really look
into Frontier.

It is free, PPC native, threaded and very flexible.  You can run
many CGIs within Frontier (one application) and since it is
threaded - it can process multiple requests to the same CGI at
the same time. Its  performance with Filemaker is very good.
Many of the problems with Mac Server CGIs are associated with
the slowness and poor threading of Applescript.  Each CGI must
be its own application.

An example of a large (90,000 records, 20MB) Filemaker DB served
on a PowerMac 6100 using Frontier for the CGI is at:

http://siolibrary.ucsd.edu/siofish/

This is running in only 8MB of real RAM which is slowing it down,
but it is  still pretty fast.

More information about Frontier and Frontier CGIs:

http://www.hotwired.com/userland/aretha/

http://www.webedge.com/frontier/index.html

Preston Holmes, pholmes at ucsd.edu

Peter Brueggeman, Scripps Institution of Oceanography Library
University of Calif San Diego, 9500 Gilman Dr, Dept 0175C
San Diego CA 92093-0175 USA
  pbrueggeman at ucsd.edu;       http://scilib.ucsd.edu/sio/
  Telephone: 619/534-1230;    Fax: 619/534-5269