looking for patches to wais.pl

Jackie Loop loo at inel.gov
Fri Apr 12 16:25:13 EDT 1996

Hi,
I have a question about using the wais.pl gateway that comes with
the NCSA httpd server.  I'm trying to use it to search & retrieve
records from our book catalog.  I was describing my efforts to one
of the computer people here today & he said the script wasn't
designed to do what I want.  I was hoping someone might have
modified it for this purpose.
Periodically we dump our catalog from a Clipper database into a
text file, with the shortened book records delimited by a blank line.
This text file is wais indexed (we're using freeWais 1.0).  We then
use our Unix gopher server to do a wais search, which returns the first
line (title) of the document paragraph (or book record) as a link.
Clicking on the link returns the entire paragraph (or book record).
The problem is that with Netscape Navigator 2.0, the gopher URL is too
long for Navigator to return correctly, so the book record is returned
as a blank screen. (It works fine with the older Netscape & with Mosaic,
but I figure most of our patrons will soon be using the most current
Netscape & our web-searchable catalog will be history!)
So I thought I'd try it on the http server & use wais.pl.  I can get
a very nice looking list of books with linked titles, but when I click
on the the link, it falls apart - it hasn't really built a URL.
Has anyone modified wais.pl for this or a similar purpose?
(Or is there some other free gateway that would already do the job?)

Thanks,
Jackie

JACKIE LOOP                                         VOICE:208-526-1196
INEL Technical Library                                FAX:208-526-0211
LOCKHEED IDAHO
Box 1625                                         INTERNET:loo at inel.gov
Idaho Falls, ID  83415-2300
USA