Netscape & Microsoft WFW networks

Jim DeArmey dearmeyj at nitnoi.howa.lib.md.us
Mon Apr 8 16:59:04 EDT 1996

I'm stuck.

I am trying to get Netscape to work on a PC which is running Microsoft's
Windows for Workgroups network which has the Microsoft's TCP/IP protocols
loaded as well.

All of the IP traffic seems to be running smoothly.  Hosts respond to
ping, telnet, etc and I the name resolution is working.

I can't get Netscape to run, however.  It loads and begins to work but
when I try to retrieve a page I get the "Connect: Contacting host..."
message and it just sits there until it gives up.  If I enter the same
URL using an IP number instead of a host name, it begins to retrieve the
page until it comes to something with a named source (such as an image)
and freezes again.

The hitch seems to be with the name resolution but this works fine for me in
all the other IP applications I'm running.  Netscape is the only one that
has a problem.

I'd be grateful for any tips the collective brains on the list could
offer. According to the help files, Microsoft doesn't support this so I
can't appeal to them.

I'm running Netscape 2.0 (16 bit version).  Haven't tried a different
browser yet but will tomorrow.

Thanks in advance for giving this some thought.

Jim DeArmey
Electronic Resources Manager (who doesn't look too good right now!)
Howard County Library
Columbia, MD  USA
dearmeyj at nitnoi.howa.lib.md.us