Location info on www pages

robertson at tesla.njit.edu robertson at tesla.njit.edu
Fri Apr 5 00:26:08 EST 1996

>While putting together a list of library homepages (for the Medical
>Library Association's '96 Annual Meeting homepage at
>"http://www.kumc.edu/MLA/MLA96/"), I noticed something rather interesting.

>Many of the library homepages I visited, and also those of the affiliated
>institutions, did not clearly identify the location of the library, i.e.
>City and State.

>I've noticed that this seems to be a chronic problem on the WWW in
>general, but we in the library world should be more conscientious about
>providing complete and accurate information.

>-- Steve Clancy

     To further the thought, I've often noticed the lack of a
full *mail* *address* and *telephone* *number* on web pages.
Sometimes, you want to pick up the phone or physically send
someone something.

     Many, many times, you've really got to dig in the web pages
to find that info.  And in many, many *more* times, it's not
even there.

     As a matter of fact, if I'm sitting at my desk, it's easier
to fire off a URL in the hopes of finding a telephone number on the
received web page than getting up and fetching the American Library
Directory (for example).  Unfortunately, as I said, most of those
pages just don't have info.

              --Jim Robertson, Technical Reference Librarian
                New Jersey Institute of Technology
                robertson at tesla.njit.edu