"Good" Information on the Internet

Sharyn J. Ladner sladner at umiami.ir.miami.edu
Tue Apr 2 09:10:54 EST 1996

I use the following sources when evaluating business resources on the web:

One of the first Internet books to include quality and evaluation is Gail
Clement's _Science and Technology on the Internet: an Instructional Guide_
(Library Solutions Press, 1995), ISBN 1-882208-13-7. Clement discusses how
to recognize differing levels of quality and value of sci-tech resources and
evaluation strategies for various Internet applications (conferencing and
collaboration, news and current information, reference tools, etc.). I find
that her advice can be applied to resources other than those in the
sciences. Although this book was written before the proliferation of
web-based resources, its approach is still relevant because its based on
sound conceptual principles.

ANother excellent resource is Hope Tillman's presentation at the 1996
Computers in Libraries Conference in February. Titled "Evaluating Quality
on the Net", this file is available on Hope's home page:
http://www.tiac.net/users/hope/findqual.html. This paper takes a more
pragmatic approach than Clement's is more focused on the web. It also
includes an overview of current review tools (iGuide, Magellan, Point, GNN).

Regards,
Sharyn

Sharyn J. Ladner, Associate Professor           Internet email:
  and Gold Fund Business Librarian                sladner at umiami.ir.miami.edu
University of Miami Richter Library             Voice: 305-284-4067
P.O. Box 248214                                 Fax: 305-665-7352
Coral Gables, FL 33124
         home page: http://www.library.miami.edu/staff/sjl/sjl.html