Catalog of the Internet: Veronica?

Derek Smith dsmith at seraph1.sewanee.edu
Sat Oct 28 11:33:47 EDT 1995

>        I'm starting to come around and think I should always search both
>Lycos and Veronica.
>
>        Have you experienced this?  What do you recommend in training?
>
>                                        Janice Adlington
>                                        Memorial University of Newfoundland

        I'd show them both just to make sure they understand the evolution
of search tools and other utilities on the Internet. For example, you could
explain that gopher and veronica (along with archie) were the main
utilities used to search the Internet before the WWW evolved into its
current status. Explain that gopher, telnet, archie, Usenet news, ftp, and
e-mail sessions were once done on their own, but now Web browsers are
interfaces to all these functions.

Derek (former MUN library student worker, now in Tennessee!)

Derek Smith (dsmith at seraph1.sewanee.edu)
Reference Librarian
duPont Library
University of the South