netscape.hst file

Dong Secuya dsecuya at durian.usc.edu.ph
Wed Oct 25 01:36:03 EDT 1995

Hello Doug,

On Tue, 24 Oct 1995 14:41:11 -0700 Doug FRAZIER wrote to web4lib...

 DF> A couple of months ago we installed 9 PCs with Netscape in our Reference
 DF> area as part of a statewide project.  Predictably, they are seeing lots
 DF> of use, and the netscape.hst file one each one keeps getting bigger and
 DF> bigger.

 DF> Can anyone tell me the purpose of this file and how it functions?  It
 DF> looks like it stores the URLs that you visit, but each URL is followed by
 DF> a number of some kind, and the URLs themselves do not seem to be in any
 DF> order.  Should I delete this file from time to time, or will Netscape
 DF> takecare of it without my intervention.

I don't know if this post is appropriate here.  However to answer
your question, you can just delete netscape.hst file from time to time
as its sole purpose in only to record every URL you have accessed.
Netscape automatically creates a new and empty netscape.hst file when
the file is not found on start up.

Another thing that you have to continually clean up with Netscape is the
CACHE directory.  The CACHE directory stores all the files downloaded
from all the sites you have visited.  In time all you disks space will
be consumed by all the files stored herein if not deleted.  To reclaim
the space just delete all files under this directory including the
fat file.

Regards,

-=Dong=-

dsecuya at durian.usc.edu.ph