Z39.50 browser experience/evaluation?

Ernest Perez, Oregon State Library perez at OPAC.OSL.STATE.OR.US
Thu Oct 19 03:47:03 EDT 1995

The Oregon State Library is looking to select a Z39.50 browser/client
package, to use as a basic package for an "Internet Starter Kit" for Oregon
libraries. This will be bundled as part of a competitive grant system
package to be distributed to successful applicants.

We're poised on the edge of getting access to widely available Z39.50
servers. Yet, I've not seen very much comparative discussion about this
relatively new type of software.  These include the commercial Z39.50
client products such as Ameritech, Sea Change (BookWhere), DRA (Find),
Sirsi, and TRW (Search Access).   I'd like to request comments about
experiences or impressions of these packages.

I invite list subscriber comments about the current market products. I'm
interested in comments in such areas as:

  Cost/performance
  Look & feel, user-friendliness
  Competitive position
  Software support
  Maturity of the package
  Concurrent vs. consecutive access to multiple servers
  Should we forget browsers & aim for a host-based Z39.50,
     with a forms-based WWW front end?
  Whatever...

I'd appreciate list input in this area.

Cheers,