Cataloging the Internet

The Big Glee Bopper thom at indiana.edu
Mon Oct 16 21:51:44 EDT 1995

On Mon, 16 Oct 1995, Paul Neff, Internet Librarian wrote:

> > So what is the difference? Can you catalog a moving target or do you have
> > to pattern recognize it?
>
> All cataloged resources are moving targets.  It's just that some move faster
> than others.  How this cataloging is actually done seems to me to be a point
> of expediency more than anything else.

So how should folks doing the cataloging deal with the fact that the real
content of the internet is not a book or a url or an image but actually a
_person_ ??? Has anyone started cataloging to people on the internet? The
difference between this environment and an opac seems to be that I can
actually find the author and ask them what they meant ... just like I am
doing now.

--Thom