Cataloging the Internet

The Big Glee Bopper thom at indiana.edu
Mon Oct 16 18:58:28 EDT 1995

On Mon, 16 Oct 1995, Paul Neff, Internet Librarian wrote:

> >Uh huh, kindly let us know when the staff of Kansas City Public Library have
> >finished cataloging, classifying, and indexing the Internet :-)
>
> OK, just as soon as you let us know when you've finished cataloging,
> classifying and indexing all the books in the world.  If there's a fundamental
> difference between these two tasks then I'd be interested in knowing about it.

So what is the difference? Can you catalog a moving target or do you have
to pattern recognize it? Wouldn't it be more reasonable to imagine an
uncataloged internet which includes cataloged resources such as libraries?

One of the advantages of libraries is not that they include everything
but that they exclude most things. The internet on the other hand seems
to include everything.

--Thom