Are web searching tools WAIS-based?

Nick Arnett narnett at Verity.COM
Sat Oct 14 17:40:28 EDT 1995

>I would say most of them are not.  Open Text uses its own powerful
>index and search engines.  Lycos and InfoSeek are new.  Harvest is
>based on glimpse. WN is based on grep, I believe.  Swish is definitely
>based on WAIS.  I think Isearch is too.

Lycos has a fairly simple search engine that Fuzzy Mauldin wrote, but he
has recommended commercial engines, including ours, to his information
licensees.

InfoSeek declines to identify the engine that it's using.

Harvest is independent of search engines -- Glimpse is just one of the
engines for which Brokers have been built.  The first commercial engine
supported by Harvest is (guess what!) Verity's.  There's a link to a
Verity-based broker on this page:

http://www.verity.com/customers.html

There are about 50 search and retrieval companies in the United States.
Verity and Fulcrum are the big ones, the others are all quite small in
comparison.

Nick Arnett
Internet Marketing Manager
Verity Inc.