Invitation to Universal Access Forum in Boston, Mass.

paciello at shane.ENET.dec.com paciello at shane.ENET.dec.com
Fri Oct 6 12:13:42 EDT 1995

INVITATION LETTER

FORUM ON UNIVERSAL DESIGN OF TELECOMMUNICATIONS AND INFORMATION SYSTEMS AT WGBH

-  Create more usable products and services...
-  Open up untapped markets...
-  Get an edge on the future...

The Universal Access Project, in collaboration with NYNEX, the Massachusetts
Assistive Technology Partnership, Computer Professionals for Social
Responsibility, and CAST (Center for Applied Special Technology), is presenting
a free, informational program for select professionals working in product
design, engineering, marketing, human factors and others who wish to know more
about this emerging field.  The Boston Forum is one of three regional forums
being held by the Universal Access Project to introduce

(The Universal Access Project is a Department of Commerce-funded grant to the
World Institute on Disability along with the Trace R&D Center of the University
of Wisconsin, and the CPB/WGBH National Center for Accessible Media (NCAM).)

Universal design of information systems and telecommunications means developing
systems flexible enough to accommodate the broadest possible range of users
regardless of age or disability.  The time has come to think creatively, to
move beyond the outmoded, clumsy and costly approach of retrofitting systems
with adaptive equipment to create access for many end users.  Universal design
calls for flexible interfaces to be built into the product at the blueprint
stage, producing systems more easily used by ev

The Forum will be held October 23, 1995 in Studio A at the WGBH Educational
Foundation in Boston from 9:00 am to 1:15 pm followed by optional informal
discussions and a light buffet lunch.  The session will feature a video
presentation, demonstrations of exciting examples of universal design, and a
panel discussion by representatives of forward-thinking companies on their
strategies and reasons for implementing universal design.  Keynote speeches
will be delivered by:

-- Axel LeBlois, President/CEO of Bull Worldwide Information Systems, Inc.
-- Rob Lippincott, VP of Content Services, AT&T Interchange Online Network
-- Jacqueline Liebergott, President of Emerson College

This will be an exciting and unique event and we hope to see you there.  Please
RSVP with the attached registration form by October 9, 1995, so that we may
properly arrange to meet any accommodation needs.

REGISTRATION FORM

Forum on Universal Design of Telecommunication and Information Systems

Monday, October 23, 1995
WGBH - Studio A
125 Western Avenue, Boston, MA 02134
9:00 am - 1:15 pm
(optional informal discussions and light buffet lunch to follow)

please return this form with the following information:

Name ___________________________________
Title	___________________________________
Company/Organization	______________________
Address	_______________________________
City, State, ZIP Code	______________________
Phone (please indicate voice or TTY) _______________
Email	________________________________
Fax       ____________________________________
----------------------------------
PLEASE COMPLETE THE FOLLOWING
Do you have any accommodation needs related to participating in the conference?
Please mark any accommodations needs and we will do our best to provide you
with your request(s).

__ ASL interpreter
__ PSE interpreter
__ Deaf-blind interpreter
__ Oral interpreter
__ Assistive listening device
__ CART (Computer Aided Real Time Translation)
__ Sighted guide
__ I will be accompanied by a personal care assistant
__ Quiet room
__ Dietary needs (please specify)
__ Other (please specify)

In which format would you prefer to receive your Forum materials?
__ Regular Print
__ Large Print
__ Braille
__ Computer Disk (please specify)
__ Audio Cassette

Please return the completed Registration form by October 9th to:
Anne Silbernagel
WGBH/NCAM
125 Western Avenue
Boston, MA  02134