Printing on Public Workstations

Ellen Carrico ecarrico at spl.lib.wa.us
Wed Oct 4 19:30:40 EDT 1995

On Wed, 4 Oct 1995, Debora A. Orf wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My question is about printouts from public workstations.
>
> 1) Do you charge for these prints, if so how do you handle collection of fees?

At the present time we don't charge for any printing from any
workstations regardless of the type of printer.

> 2) Do you allow printing from every public workstation, or just from a few?

We allow printing from a large number of workstations.  We still have
lots of dumb terminals, and many of these share dot matrix printers via
a/b switches.  We also have more specialized stations (CD ROM access or
word processing for example) that have dedicated printers of various
types ranging from dot matrix to lasers.

> 3) Does anyone know of a resource for cost analysis of public workstation
> printing?

No, but I'd like to hear about it if you do.

Ellen Carrico                "A motorcycle is a tool for turning the Machine
Network & Applications Mgr   Age back on itself, for removing shackles.
Seattle Public Library       won't fix everything that's wrong with the world
(206)386-4168                but, hey, ... it's definitely a move in the right
ecarrico at spl.lib.wa.us       direction."  --Paul Pascarella