number of documents in the world wide web?

Gwen Galton gwen.galton at sheridanc.on.ca
Tue Oct 17 16:15:27 EDT 1995

On Tue, 17 Oct 1995, Laura Guy wrote:

> hello all!
>
> in light of the interesting conversations we've been having
> about web searchers and notions of cataloging the internet
> ive been wondering:
>
> does anyone have a feel for how many documents ARE publically
> accessible via the www?  i guess id mostly be interested in
> html documents (acknowledging of course that web browsers
> access ftp sites and gophers).  its said that harvest
> idexes 4.2 million, but i dont have a good sense of what
> percentage of the total that is..
>
> ive seen attempts to calculate the 'size' of the internet
> before.  usually these are construed figures based on
> a multiplication of a surveyed set of sites.  but i
> wonder how one would calculate a similar number for
> web sites?
>
> laura guy
> data and program library service
> university of wisconsin-madison
> guy at dpls.dacc.wisc.edu

I don't have an answer to your question, but I am interested in your
consistent use of lower-case in youre-mail posting.  I have been
deducting marks from journalism students and others who adopt this
practice?  Am I missing something about this new age?

Thanks,
Gwen Galton				gwen.galton at sheridanc.on.ca
Professor, Computer Studies		905-845-9430 x2897 (voice-mail)
Sheridan College			Fax: 905-815-4035
1430 Trafalgar Road
Oakville, ON, Canada L6H 2L1