Cataloging the Internet

tdowling at lib.washington.edu tdowling at lib.washington.edu
Tue Oct 17 14:56:03 EDT 1995

 % Do people have file names? What would the uniform structure of their file
 % names look like? What's the content of _their_ server?

X.500.

I think you can fairly argue that there's a qualitative difference
between the resources on the net (documents, databases, etc.) and the
resources of the net itself (people, f'rinstance).  While I wouldn't
dream of trying to catalog the Big Glee Bopper, I would expect a
capable network directory to lead me to contact information for him

Thomas Dowling