recent discussion of WWW cataloging?

Tony Barry tony at info.anu.edu.au
Wed Oct 11 16:06:27 EDT 1995

At 8:11 PM 10/10/95, perkins m wrote:
>Amid all the discussion and evaluation of the myriad search engines now
>available on the Internet, has anyone else noted that one of the effects
>of using these engines is that we are transfering work that used to be
>the responsibility of indexers, librarians and other information
>professionals to our users?

Publishers, librarians and booksellers only exist in the form that they do
so those things that print cannot do, can be done.  Networked information
retrieval and publishing also has its failings but they are different and
fewer.  The network may not need the infrastructure we provide.  The key is
to find what needs to be done and move services in that direction as
publishers, librarians and booksellers are about to be fighting over the
same turf on a smaller field.

Tony

Tony Barry                  URL:http://snazzy.anu.edu.au/People/TonyB.html
Centre for Networked Information and Publishing & also
Centre for Networked Access to Scholarly Information  fone  +61 6 249 4632
Australian National University Library                phax  +61 6 279 8120
Canberra  A.C.T. 0200, AUSTRALIA                      tony at info.anu.edu.au