Question about web sites that require usernames and passwords...

Ronnie Morgan rmorgan at harding.edu
Thu Nov 30 12:38:36 EST 1995

** Reply to note from Bill Crosbie <crosbie at AESOP.RUTGERS.EDU> 11/30/95 10:16am -0800

> Academe today must be purchased by the end user.  It would be possible to
> negotiate a site license, I suppose, but implemenation would be tricky.  You
> could give them access to Academe this Week, as an alternative, to see if
> there is the demand for the pay for play service.
>
> If you do want to go into Academe Today, you would need to laearn how they
> are authenticating users.  It _might_ be possible to pay an institutional
> fee, and then enter the site and bookmark it, with the password and username
> already encrypted into the URL.  OF course, if anyone exports the bookmarks...
>
> This is a sticky problem and I would reccommend contacting the Chronicle to
> see if they are willing and able to work with you.

I certainly would understand why they would not want just anyone getting access to it,
but, if the library pays for the Chronicle, and the public can come in and read it, I
don't see why Academe Today can't be made available as well.

I have sent a message to them asking about this...  Will let you know what they say.

Ronnie Morgan
Team OS/2
Harding University Library        Internet : rmorgan at harding.edu
Systems Manager
Box 2267, Searcy, AR  72149       Phone : (501) 279-4077 (voice)