Oregon position (again)

Paul Neff, Internet Librarian PAUL at KCPL.LIB.MO.US
Tue Nov 28 20:41:31 EST 1995

> If a library asks for web authoring, Novell networking, Mac, PC, etc. etc.
> paying $32K and a commercial venture looking for similar skills is paying
> $45K does the library get committed, talented hires? Do they get people who
> will leave for greener pastures after they gain a little bit of experience
> and a toe-hold in the field? Do they get the people who would not have been
> hired by said commercial ventures because their skills were somewhat less
> solid?

It all depends on whether they're looking for an MLS or not...  there does
seem to be a certain committment to professionalism, service and penury
(or at least an understanding of the job market realities) that goes with
the degree.  :-)  And if not, fine.  Certainly I'd like to see more MLSs in
the private sector, although my guess would be that the crossover market (for
MLSs to work in nontraditional jobs) isn't real big.  (Does anyone know?)

Bear in mind that wishful thinking when hiring is by no means confined to
libraries.  Corporate ads for trendy new positions ("Webmaster" "Data Miner"
"Java Developer") frequently require improbable amounts of esoteric expertise,
which may or may not retain its value over time.  (How much can a brand new CNE
demand today, as opposed to two years ago?)

Your last question raises an interesting point.  Maybe libraries who undervalue
positions do so because they want employees who value the nature of their work
as much as, or more than the paycheck.  Or maybe they're just looking for a
deal.  I don't blame them.  (It would be interesting to see a Human Resources
perspective on this in this thread...)

Paul Neff
Internet Librarian, Kansas City Public Library
paul at kcpl.lib.mo.us