Discussion of roles, positions, on the web

John C. Matylonek matylonj at ccmail.orst.edu
Mon Nov 20 18:23:09 EST 1995

Dowling wrote:

Here's a question of netiquette I've never known a clear answer to:  When
job announcement are posted to a discussion-oriented list like Web4Lib,
are they fair topics for discussion?

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu

I believe discussion relating to the roles, changing skills set,
and qualifications and compensation for web/internet related
positions is fair game. The interface between information system
management (librarianship) and information science (creation of
systems) is blurring.  One of our duties as information access
professionals is to bring up these issues based so that a reasonable
compromises. Of course titles, who does what issues, what constitutes
a "professional" are all highly controversial and semi-objective/subjective.
However, who else is more qualified to bring out the relative values?
Administrators have long had the monopoly on such value judgments. Their
wise decisions can, at least, be supplemented from the people who are on
the forefront of change.

John Matylonek