Java, Blacbird and The Future of the Web ...

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.ohiolink.edu
Mon Nov 20 13:03:44 EST 1995

Call Me Bill Drew writes:

>Every time I comment on the lack of development or support for
applications

>for Windows for Workgroups, I keep getting told to awitch to Linux.  I am
NOT

>switching to an obscure version of UNIX for my PC. I HATE TO USE THE
EUNUCHS

>(UNIX) OPERATING SYSTEM.

Bill--

Not surprisingly, developers like to write their software on platforms
that run it well.  Take a quick scan through user complaints about Winsock
problems and guess how that platform looks to developers (and that leaves
out how squirrely DLL writing is said to be, and I'm sure there are a
bunch of other problems with Win 3.x).  It really can't surprise you at
this point that most Internet-related programs come out first on some
flavor of Unix, get ported to other flavors of Unix, and then usually move
on to NT, before getting to any desktop OS.

Often, the program trickles down to the lower end platforms, but you
really must come to grips with the fact that Win 3.x as the low end is
starting to crumble away under your feet.  The development effort that has
been going there is veering toward Win 95, and a lot of companies won't
have the spare staffpower to add Win 95 support and still maintain Win 3.x
support.

>It will be many years before our library can afford more powerful
computers

>for public stations that could run Java applets.  I really like the
potential

>of Java but they should look at the installed base and provide a Windows
3.11

>version as well as ones for Windows 95 or Windows NT.

Maybe we're all talking at cross purposes: can you define your current
hardware level and what you mean by "more powerful...public stations that
could run Java..."?  By most people's standards, the hardware necessary to
run Netscape 2.0b2/Java under Win 95 isn't too high a hurdle.  Are you
really many years away from 486/33s with more than 4MB of RAM?  If so you
have my sympathies, but I think your energy would be better spent
explaining the situation to your budgeting and purchasing people.

BTW, I haven't seen anyone suggest that any form of Java is ready for
public workstations.  What people seem to be saying is that now is the
time to teach yourself about Java to be ahead of the curve 6 or 8 or 12
months from now.

Also BTW: the definitive Eunuchs joke has already appeared in Dilbert.  If
you're going to trash Unix, please focus on one of its substantive flaws.

Thomas Dowling
OhioLINK