Java, Blacbird and The Future of the Web ...

Wilfred Drew drewwe at snymorva.cs.snymor.edu
Mon Nov 20 14:55:20 EST 1995

Every time I comment on the lack of development or support for applications
for Windows for Workgroups, I keep getting told to awitch to Linux.  I am NOT
switching to an obscure version of UNIX for my PC. I HATE TO USE THE EUNUCHS
(UNIX) OPERATING SYSTEM.

Windows for Workgroups and Windows 3.11 installations far outnumber the
installations for Windows NT, Windows 95, or Linux (at least that is my
subjective opinion).  All I was asking is why aren't companies, researchers,
and software developers taking such things into account.

I am running a World Wide Web server off the very pc I am sending this e-mail
from.  The server is as good or better that most "high powered"
servers.  It is ZBServer 1.0.  I have registered it.  It has versions for
Windows for Workgroups/Windows 3.11 and for Windows 95/Windows NT.
Other users of this package have developed a search engine for it.  It
can run virtually all of the Windows and DOS cgi packages available.

It will be many years before our library can afford more powerful computers
for public stations that could run Java applets.  I really like the potential
of Java but they should look at the installed base and provide a Windows 3.11
version as well as ones for Windows 95 or Windows NT.
--
Wilfred Drew (Call me "Bill") Serials/Reference/Systems Librarian
SUNY College of Ag. & Tech.;   P.O. Box 902;  Morrisville, NY 13408-0902