Managing info on web & gopher servers - Marmot

BILL DREW DREWWE at snymorva.cs.snymor.edu
Tue Nov 14 21:13:32 EST 1995

>Here's a note about something that claims to help manage information on web
>and gopher servers.  I have not evaluated it but the source is good and the
>described capability seems interesting to Web4Lib'ers....
>
>--David Ritchie
>--R124C41 at AOL.COM

I liked the sound of this product until I got to the platform needed to run the
server:

----------stuff deleted-------------

>     You can try Marmot out for yourself.  Clients (InfoShare 2.3) are
>     available for Windows and Macintosh.  By default, they start out
>pointing to a
>     live tutorial of Marmot capabilities, allowing users to publish
>information to
>     our demo server.  If you want to install your own server, copies (mmtd
>     1.38) are available for SunOS and Solaris.  Both clients and servers are

When is the government and those developing such tools going to realize how few
people can afford a SunOS or Solaris system?  Why don't they develop a server
for Windows or Windows 95 or MacOS?

There, I vented my spleen.

--
Wilfred Drew (Call me "Bill")        Serials/Reference/Systems Librarian
SUNY College of Ag. & Tech.;   P.O. Box 902;  Morrisville, NY 13408-0902

--
Wilfred Drew (Call me "Bill")        Serials/Reference/Systems Librarian
SUNY College of Ag. & Tech.;   P.O. Box 902;  Morrisville, NY 13408-0902
DECnet: SMORV::DREWWE            Internet: DREWWE at SNYMORVA.CS.SNYMOR.EDU
Phone: (315)684-6055 or 684-6060 Fax: (315)684-6115          My URL is:
gopher://snymorva.cs.snymor.edu/hhgopher_root1:[library-docs.html]wdrew.html
"We have all come here in different ships, but we're in the same boat now."
Dr. Martin Luther King