Using database software to create HTML documents--(And how...)

Robert H. Terry rhterry at RBSE.Mountain.Net
Sun Nov 5 08:39:13 EST 1995

O.K., I can not spell very well, but how many Brooklyn born Computer
Scientist can.  But enough of the flaming, the tool is a NASA software
research product.  As stated its available like many of such
off-the-shelf works as a public domain tool (called MOREplus).  In order
to provide the complete package with customer driven functionality and
common needs like support and upgrades we have been tasked with making a
COTS tool.

My opinion, which has been solidified time and time again upon
reading/talking with physical librarians and hearing their needs/problems
in finding a suitable interface for WWW technology, is to suggest looking
into a DBMS layer which generates HTML.   Maybe, it is a bit forward to
suggest my own work, but as yet this researcher has found no other tool
better suited for cataloguing holdings.  When we are visited, it becomes
obvious most do not realize every page (except the first one) is being
generated on-the-fly.  It is also noticeable that most of its
functionality, the administrative ones, are seldom seen/investigated.

So, to answer all critics, do not make assumptions when you really have
not understood the technology.  Secondly, keep your credit card numbers
close to your PIN numbers when approaching ATMs, the person behind you is
much more likely to rip you off then I will ever be.  Just keep on using
your Telnet process oriented interfaces and stay in the dark about WWW
HTML code generators.

Bob Terry