Why disable access to software features?

Eric Lease Morgan eric_morgan at ncsu.edu
Sat Nov 4 22:41:46 EST 1995

Wow, that was quite a fury of responses! They certainly deserve a thoughtful
reply.

The question

My original query was, "Remind me why we, as librarians, would like to disable
access to some of the software's [, a WWW browser's] features. I thought
librarians were interested in free and equal access to information?"

My question was/is 50% rhetorical and 50% legitimate. On one hand, I believe
there is no real practical answer the question. On the other hand, I wonder
whether or not we are living up to our values as librarians if we cripple our
software and therefore reduce and/or eliminate access to information.

The practical answers

>From a practical standpoint, I understand why we would want to modify a piece
of software's features. Things like lists of bookmarks, home page
configuration, helper applications, etc. define fundamental aspects of the
software's functionality.

On the other hand, not allowing users to change settings like home pages,
email addresses, add bookmarks, background colors are not, in my opinion valid
reasons for crippling the software as long as the user *can not* permantly
save the modifications. Maybe they want a bigger font because they can't read
it or mayby they are color blind. This is why I advocate The Big Red Button
Approach to public access computers. In The Big Red Button Approach a patron
is told to "push the big red button" to restarting the computer and thus
return it to its  original state.

In short, modifying the software, so people can not permantly change settings
is, in my opinion, a wise precaution.

The legitimate answers

At the same time, not allowing people to open URLs, send and retrieve email,
open up telnet sessions, use IRC, and download software are restricting
people's access to information, and consequently in direct conflict with some
of the traditional ideals of librarianship.

IRC can be used for legitimate educational purposes. Disabling the ability to
downloading software is blatantly restrictive. Many many services are still
available only through the telnet protocol. Retrieving email can be used to
get information. Searching mailing lists is an example. Sending email can be a
way for libraries to discourage printing.

(Incidentally, I do not believe the library is responsible for a patron's
actions when it comes to sending racist email. The telephone company is not
responsible for prank calls. The U.S. Postal service is not responsible for
hate mail. While I do not believe personal mail should sent from library
computers, I do believe the use of email, a communications medium, is
legitimate.)

Philosophic reflection

Personally, I am constantly reflecting on my professional values. The purpose
of my question was to get input from my peers on this issue and possibly
stimulate thinking as well. I believe I was sucessful on both counts.

A number of things have happened to me in the recent past that lead me to
believe that the ideals of librarianship (specifically, free and equal access
to information as well as preservation of the historical record) are not
necessarily values held, understood, nor endorsed in the current economic and
political environment. Modifying a WWW browser's ability open up URL's is, in
my opinion, an example of these trends.

So what's the solution? I don't know. I only have more questions. What are the
values of librarianship? Are these values in sync with modern society? Were
libraries ever institutions who provided free and equal access to information?
As a librarian, to what degree am I responsible to society? Does modern
society endorse whatever answers I derive from these questions? As an
individual, should I care?

To bring this matter to a close, I endorse the majority of comments made to my
inquiry, and y'all are helping me come to grips with my personal philosophy of
librarianship in these days of rapid change. Thank you.

--
Eric Lease Morgan
NCSU Libraries