Why disable access to software features?

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.ohiolink.edu
Fri Nov 3 08:12:48 EST 1995

Jaap Verbaas writes:

>> OTOH, there is at least one browser out there that has a kiosk mode built

>> into it; why not use that one?
>>

>> Thomas Dowling
>> OhioLINK

>Yes, why not?
>But ... can you give more details? Name, where to download that browser

>etc? You use that browser yourself and are content with it?
>I'm looking forward to your answer.

It's an obscure little browser called NCSA Mosaic, available at
ftp.ncsa.uiuc.edu.  I can't speak with any certainty about the Mac version (and
I realized belatedly that the original question was about Mac browsers), but
the Windows and X versions offer a kiosk mode.

At my previous institution, some people expressed concern that the kiosk mode
was too restrictive, so we tested a modified "kiosk plus".  The source for the
X version is available for ftp, so if you're running Unix you can get the
source to pick and choose what functions get turned off in kiosk mode.  For the
Windows version, you need to read NCSA's license agreement to see if you can
get the code and then apply for it.  But if you don't have a C hacker on staff,
you can just go with their choices (which, if I recall, turn off all output
functions and in some cases the "Go to URL..." function).

Thomas Dowling
OhioLINK