Other list servers

Genevieve Engel gen at stubbs.ucop.edu
Thu Nov 2 18:31:08 EST 1995

A searchable version of the ARL _Directory of Electronic Journals,
Newsletters, and Academic Discussion Lists_ is available at the URL:

http://gort.ucsd.edu/jj/ej/jdir.html

A Gopher version was available (should still be there) at:

gopher://arl.cni.org:70/11/scomm/edir

The _Library-Oriented Lists and Electronic Serials_ (which includes the
above list as well as the Kovacs information shown below) should be
available via:

gopher://info.lib.uh.edu

A large collection of directories of electronic journals, serials, mailing
lists, etc. is at:

http://www.ucsd.edu/library/electronic_journals/index.html

Diane Kovacs' _Directory of Academic Discussion Lists_ is available by
sending e-mail to:
LISTSERV at KENTVM.KENT.EDU

The entire content of the e-mail message should be:
GET ACADLIST README F=MAIL

If you want the library-related portion of the directory the content should
be this instead:
GET ACADLIST LIBRARY F=MAIL

This directory should also be available at:
gopher://gopher.usask.ca

I'm posting the above because I have seen a startling number of requests on
various lists for subscription information about other library-related
lists.  As far as I know, the abovementioned directories are still being
maintained.  As they have been in existence for a number of years now, older
versions are also available in print in some libraries.

For example, Appendix A of _Internet Connections: a librarian's guide to
dial-up access and use_, a book I co-authored, contains the 3/3/95 version
of _Library-Oriented Lists_ -- that's where I copied most of the above from.
Some libraries have copies of _Internet Connections_ and you can also ask
them if they have other printed directories of e-mail lists.

Genny Engel
gen at dla.ucop.edu