Using database software to create HTML documents

Andrzej Kowalski andrzej at dingo.com
Thu Nov 2 18:00:36 EST 1995

Actually, we have been doing this for nearly two years with our KE Texpress
database product.  Texpress is an object-oriented client/server database
that runs on all major varieties of Unix.  Like conventional RDBMS and
unlike text retrieval systems, it handles structured data extremely well.
Like text retrieval engines and unlike conventional RDBMS, it also handles
and indexes unlimited free textual data.  Unlike both RDBMS and text
retrieval systems using inverted file indices, Texpress' indexing algorithms
comfortably handle collections of many millions of objects with full
indexing of all fields - textual and struxtured.  Texhtml, our WWW gateway,
has been developed, deployed, tested, refined and enhanced over the last 2
years so it is fast, stable and reliable running on multiple Unix platforms.

Andrzej Kowalski

At 11:29 11/02/95 -0800, you wrote:

>Actually, we are scheduled to do same after our Oracle product release in
>Dec. of this year.  The tool will store index information (metadata)
>about holdings (i.e. book, papers, etc.) in the database and generate
>on-the-fly real-time HTML pages. All of which can be searched and browsed
>by users in a variety of manners.  The architectual premise is to provide
>a DBMS layer to all WWW HTML based browsers (for Administrators and
>Users).   Our main concern are the loss in performance and functionality
>consequently moving to PC based environment for the tool.  Oracle on Sun,
>HPs, AIX, etc. has a lot to offer for the Server side.  I would
>appreciate other's opinions on this case.
>
>Thanks, Bob Terry
>http://rbse.mountain.net/MOREplus/
>
>On Thu, 2 Nov 1995, asmith wrote:
>
>>      I was wondering if anyone has experimented with using a database
>>      software program (Dbase, Access, Fox Pro ... etc..) to create a HTML
>>      coded document?
>>
>>      It seems like it would be useful when you're creating a page with lots
>>      of repetition and similar data (for example, a list of web sites
>>      followed by short descriptions).
>>
>>      Marissa Smith
>>      Reference Librarian
>>      Loma Linda University
>>      xasmith at dwebb.llu.edu

Andrzej Kowalski                                     Vancouver, BC, Canada
Dingo Software Systems Inc.                          Tel: (604) 877-1960
andrzej at dingo.com                                    Fax: (604) 877-1961
http://www.dingo.com

Fast and flexible data retrieval from data collections of all sizes
in-house and on the WWW with the KE Texpress Information Management System.