Using database software to create HTML documents

Wain Dobson wain at literascape.com
Thu Nov 2 15:36:03 EST 1995

Just about any database program can do this by simply creating a
report form. Whether you want the creation to be dynamic page or
a static page does influence how you go about this. I use a product
called Texpress which allows me to generate just about any type of
entry (include MARC, heaven forbid). At the moment, I'm designing
a database to replace our current database.  The new databse
will access not only the relevant bibliographic information but also
will include biogrphical, review, annotation, cross-references to
other works by the same author. Actually, the database allows me
to handle both structured an unstructured data in the same breath.

I consider the database and it's web interface, texhtmlserver, to be
quite unique. Here's how it works. From the moment the query is
submitted until the page appears, the data stream is completely
open to manipulation. It does this through examining a series
of directories in the DocumentRoot: query, header, footer, body,
filter. Each of these directories may contain either an executable
or non-executable which is used to either manipulate the stream
or to insert into the stream. Overriding is a filter which takes the
data stream from the query. What this all boils down to is that
I can embbed tags of my own invention or describe how I want
the data to be displayed and then do the parsing, if necessary,
in the filter. For example, I could store a full MARC record in
the database, retrieve it, and parse it as it moves through the
stream. All that is required is a parser or parsers( one for each
type of query.) --- First time that I have found a use for lex
and yacc that is is useful :-) ---

Beyond this, Texpress offers an API which in it's various
guises (UNIX, Windows, Dos, Mac) allows one to have
a good play. There is nothing preventing me from implementing
the filter using the API. However, the Windows API is the tool,
here. I'm currently implementing a small claims system which
will interface with the UNIX based Texpress Database. The
initial prototype, for Windows 95, will use the Texpress API
to interface the UNIX database with a Paradox/dBase that
will maintain the claims data locally. (I'm also experimenting
with interfacing other database products -- ctree and raima's
offerings.) Guess that I should point out here, that the API
for Windows uses commercially available tcp stacks ( trumpet,
ftp, and Window's 95's stack.). It also has it's own.

Also, coming in the 1st quarter of 1996 is a Z39.5 implmentation
which will allow the same flexibility. (Think that I'm going to
have a good time writing Z39.5 clients --- for Windows.)