Conversion of many documents to html

Gary R Wright gwright at connix.com
Fri Dec 22 13:55:18 EST 1995

Robb Scholten writes:
> I remember reading in a recent issue of InfoWorld that someone has come
> up with a webserver that outputs documents encoded in several proprietary
> markup languages without converting them first to HTML.  If it is reliable,
> this seems much more practical than converting documents into HTML (which
> almost always requires some human intervention at some point.)

I think you are describing a standard feature of a WWW server.
Lots of people have the impression that a WWW server can only
deal with html, gif, and JPEG, but you can store anything
on a WWW server and then create a link to it.  For example:

This is a <A HREF="file.ps">postscript</a> document.

The only magic involved is telling the WWW server that
a ".ps" extension indicates a postscript file. Most WWW
servers come configured with all the basic definitions.
Here is the extension to MIME mapping file for a standard
NCSA server:

application/activemessage
application/andrew-inset
application/applefile
application/atomicmail
application/dca-rft
application/dec-dx
application/mac-binhex40
application/macwriteii
application/msword             doc
application/news-message-id
application/news-transmission
application/octet-stream       bin
application/oda                oda
application/pdf                pdf
application/postscript         ai eps ps
application/remote-printing
application/rtf                rtf
application/slate
application/x-mif      mif
application/wita
application/wordperfect5.1
application/x-csh              csh
application/x-dvi              dvi
application/x-hdf              hdf
application/x-latex            latex
application/x-netcdf           nc cdf
application/x-sh               sh
application/x-tcl              tcl
application/x-tex              tex
application/x-texinfo          texinfo texi
application/x-troff            t tr roff
application/x-troff-man        man
application/x-troff-me         me
application/x-troff-ms         ms
application/x-wais-source      src
application/zip                zip
application/x-bcpio            bcpio
application/x-cpio             cpio
application/x-gtar             gtar
application/x-shar             shar
application/x-sv4cpio          sv4cpio
application/x-sv4crc           sv4crc
application/x-tar              tar
application/x-ustar            ustar
audio/basic                    au snd
audio/x-aiff                   aif aiff aifc
audio/x-wav                    wav
image/gif                      gif
image/ief                      ief
image/jpeg                     jpeg jpg jpe
image/tiff                     tiff tif
image/x-cmu-raster             ras
image/x-portable-anymap        pnm
image/x-portable-bitmap        pbm
image/x-portable-graymap       pgm
image/x-portable-pixmap        ppm
image/x-rgb                    rgb
image/x-xbitmap                xbm
image/x-xpixmap                xpm
image/x-xwindowdump            xwd
message/external-body
message/news
message/partial
message/rfc822
multipart/alternative
multipart/appledouble
multipart/digest
multipart/mixed
multipart/parallel
text/html                      html htm
text/plain                     txt
text/richtext                  rtx
text/tab-separated-values      tsv
text/x-setext                  etx
video/mpeg                     mpeg mpg mpe
video/quicktime                qt mov
video/x-msvideo                avi
video/x-sgi-movie              movie