Telnet config at server end

tdowling at ohiolink.ohiolink.edu tdowling at ohiolink.ohiolink.edu
Thu Dec 21 18:07:34 EST 1995

Here's a problem my resident Unix wizards can't answer (yet).  I'm
trying to set up a series of telnet URLs at different port numbers to
connect to different databases (telnet://host:9001 goes to database
A, telnet://host:9002 to database B, etc.).  I've learned more about
the Unix services and inetd.conf files than I ever wanted, and it
actually works...

...except that all the telnet sessions I can create come up in line
mode rather than character mode (the Unix telnet client reports that
it's in "obsolete linemode"), an annoying detail that completely
incapacitates one of our search interfaces.  I've seen this with
several browser/telnet combinations, so I'm left assuming that it's
controlled at the server end.  Anyone know what I should be doing?

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu