Latest version of Mosiac for Windows

Peter C. Gorman pcgorman at facstaff.wisc.edu
Wed Dec 20 11:07:39 EST 1995

Peter Scott writes:

>You might want to take a look at the latest Mosaic for Windows. It has
>some neat new features not found in Netscape. Here is Forrest Stroud's
>review:

I would dearly love to jettison Netscape in favor of Mosaic, especially for
some of Mosaic's new features, but I find that it falls down in some very
basic areas:

- the Mac version still can't save files in any useable format. I can't
view the source at all, and saving as text results in a file consisting of
one (LONG) line.

- The Back button still doesn't recognize links within a document. It
always goes to the previous *document*, not the previous *link*.

- Inlined images frequently fail to be rendered. Multiple reloads usually
fixes it.

I really like Mosaic's control over display features - it puts display
options where they belong, in the browser. But if I can't even go back from
a footnote to its source without hard coding the link back, and if our
users can't save files reliably, we won't be able to use it, no matter how
many advanced features it has. <sob>

PG
Peter C. Gorman
Automation Help Desk