Perl script for forms

Tim Tripp ttripp at inforamp.net
Sat Dec 16 12:25:04 EST 1995

John Lambert wrote:

> Each perl script gets and processes the information in the fields.
> If all the fields in two forms have the same names and are processed
> the same way, a single perl script can do more than one form.  But,
> as most forms get specific processing, you will probably need
> multiple perl scripts.

Given the amount of e-mail I receive, I've quickly deleted anything in the past that wasn't of
obvious interest.  About a year ago, I was dreaming out loud at work about the possibitlities
of using html and web browsers as a potential solution to the problem of accessing internal
corporate information, ie. polices, procedures, manuals, forms, etc.  It seemed like a
perfect idea - electronic information sits all over the place on our Wide Area Network, in a
variety of formats, much like the Internet, on a smaller, corporate scale.

Much to my shock, the Director of IS was listening and liked the idea!  Turns out that we're
buying LAN Workgroup for the whole corporation, and it's coming bundled with Netscape.
I've been tasked with designing our "Intranet" web pages (Merry Christmas!).  Actually,
I'm up for the challenge.  I've designed a series of pages to provide access to external
resources from the Library workstations, but it's all been straight html done with a text
editor.  Now all of a sudden, I'll have access to some sort of server (sorry - all I know is
that it's sitting on a 486 on someone's desk in Montreal at the moment) and I'm faced with
learning "that end" of web stuff.

The discussion of PERL caught my eye - as mentioned above, I've ignored all of the past
discussions on this.  When it comes to internal forms, ie. requests for this and that,
performance appraisal forms, and the like, is an online form a reasonable solution in your
opinion?  Is it more appropriate to simply have links to word processor documents that can
be saved and printed?  Am I missing the boat totally?

And, if anybody has been in the same situation, can you offer any pointers, tips, good links
to resources?

I've also just upgraded my Library database software to InMagic DB/Textworks and
SearchWorks for end user searching.  Can this somehow be integrated? (perhaps I should
ask the InMagic folks that one)

I'd better stop now.  I'm starting to feel overwhelmed.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Tim

--
Tim Tripp                                         Tel:(905) 790-2800 ext. 4108
Library Supervisor                                Fax:(905) 790-4423