expert systems

David Stern david.e.stern at yale.edu
Fri Dec 15 13:25:52 EST 1995

For a VERY SIMPLE library expert system on the WWW, look within the
Yale University Science Libraries NAVIGATOR home pages at

   http://www.library.yale.edu/scilib/library.html

  Choose the ` I need HELP' option

   the `locate the best sources' section attempts to help patrons
   locate the best tools for their specific needs.

  It attempts to emulate the typical questions a reference librarian
  might ask a patron.  It is often used from faculty offices and labs,
  and by the staff in the evenings when no librarians are present.

> Expert systems is a term originating in early Artificial Intelligence (AI)
> research.  AI researchers have tried (are trying) many different approaches
> to modeling intelligent behavior.  Some model simple organisms, some try to
> deal with computer vision and robotics, and others deal with "expert systems".
>
> The goal of expert systems researchers is to encompass a body of knowledge
> about a limited field in a database.  Then users of the system could
> interact with the system as if he/she were talking to an expert in that
> field.  Ideally a natural language processor would be used at the front end
> so that users could type a general question and the system would interpret
> what the user wanted.  (Or I guess, ideally, the user could speak the
> request and have the computer understand his voice.)
>
> That's it in a nutshell, from a self proclaimed nut.  :-)

  David Stern
  Director of Science Libraries and Information Services
  Kline Science Library
  Yale University
  219 Prospect Street
  P.O. Box 208111