Value of Ed./Instructional Tech. Degree

Mike hamlin at jeflin.tju.edu
Fri Dec 15 11:52:27 EST 1995

Interesting question!  I would say it is valuable, in the sense that
Libraries will be doing more and more delivery of information and
instruction via computer,  so learning and human factors issues covered in
such degree programs will be applicable.

The real question is whether libraries are seeking people with this type of
degree or just expecting their current personnel to pick up the relevant
skills.  I know our library sought me out because I had an education degree
but I wonder if other libraries are thinking along the same lines.  I'd be
curious to hear what other people think about this issue in general.

On the other hand,  you already have an M.L.S so you have the library
qualifications and your question relates to the second degree.  It seems to
me that libraries need to be thinking about technology as it relates to
educational principles.  I know when I had a chance to hire, I was looking
for someone with an education degree, but then, I am biased that way   :-)

-Mike

>        My question is not completely web related.  However,  with this list
>I have a captive audience of professionals in academic libraries that I
>would like to take advantage of :).  Is a Masters in
>Educational/Instructional Technology thought to be a valuable degree in an
>academic library or would a second subject masters (in the social sciences)
>be more advantageous?  I currently have my M.L.S. and experience in academic
>libraries.  I am beginning a second masters degree and was seriously
>considering a Masters in Educational/Instructional Technology.
>
>        Thank you in advance for your comments.
>
>Jeanne Sullivan                 MOREnet
>MOREnet User Services           1805 E. Walnut
>jeanne at more.net                 Columbia, MO  65201
>http://www.more.net/~jeanne/index.html  314-884-7200
>                                fax: 314-884-6673

Dr. Mike Hamlin    Director, AISR Education Services
      Academic Information Services & Research
            Scott Memorial Library- Thomas Jefferson University
                       1020 Walnut St,  Philadelphia, PA. 19107-5587
                                  215-955-6391, Fax: 215-923-3203
                                        hamlin at jeflin.tju.edu