PostScript and LaTex/Tex files

Bill Pardue pardue at charlie.acc.iit.edu
Thu Dec 14 03:52:43 EST 1995

We're trying to provide links to relevant e-journals for
sci/tech...and there are a number of good ones.  One problem,
however, is that a lot of them post the articles in .ps or LaTex/Tex
format. ( By the way, our browsers in the library run on Windows
boxes).  We use Ghostview for Windows for most .ps files, but it
doesn't work for all of them.  It also has problems printing properly
through the default windows printer (cropping off the tops of
characters and sticking them on the bottoms).  This means that when a
patron wants to print a .ps article in the library, he/she has to go
through a 4-step print dialog, one part of which asks them to select
the actual printer port--and they usually guess wrong.  Signage is
pretty much ignored (as is the message on our e-journals page).

LaTex/TeX is another problem altogether.  We really haven't found any
good windows viewers for this.

Anyway, with the amount of material out there in these formats, I'm
surprised there aren't any decent helper apps out there for viewing
and printing easily.  Does anyone have any suggestions/experiences?

Thanks in advance!

--Bill Pardue

PS (If you'd like to look at our current e-journal listing...it's
fairly short...check http://www.iit.edu/~library/ejournal.html)

    Bill Pardue--Electronic Resources Librarian
    Galvin Library, Illinois Institute of Tech.
                Chicago, IL  60616
312-567-3615/312-567-5318 (fax) pardue at charlie.acc.iit.edu