Java in libraries?

Michael Haseltine haseltin at ag.Arizona.EDU
Fri Dec 8 04:38:59 EST 1995

This brings together a couple of things - the difference between C++ and
Java, and security.

Sun just gave a small presentation here about Java and what they said was
that they stripped out of C++ all the code that gave access to low-level
functions, thereby making it impossible to write things like viruses or
anything else that could do intentional or inadvertent damage.

Now, I'm not a programmer, so I'm not able to provide any personal analysis,
but it seems they put it out to developers and asked if it's as secure as
they thought it was, and it passed the test.

At 12:02 PM 12/8/95 -0800, you wrote:
>Karen,
>
>I would like to see more talk about JAVA and 'security'.  How
>does one provide 'virus protection' against a JAVA app?  How
>does one prevent a JAVA app from reading 'private' information
>on the local machine and downloading it somewhere else?
>
>-Stan
Michael Haseltine -- Office of Arid Lands Studies, University of Arizona
haseltin at ag.arizona.edu