With a little help from friends:

Wilfred Drew drewwe at snymorva.cs.snymor.edu
Tue Dec 5 17:21:21 EST 1995

The Big Glee Bopper wrote:

> We have a site we have been developing with artists, programmers,
> librarians, and instructional designers. It is scenario-based design,
> paper prototyped, and user-tested, almost _exactly_ based upon 'Tog on
> Interface' I have a single screen which does nothing at:
>
> http://copper.ucs.indiana.edu/~thom/c.html
> <deleted stuff>

I am a graphics artist and a librarian and a "techie".  However, the
principles involved in good design of a page or any such document don't
require someone with a Masters in design.  Common sense things such as using
only necessary graphics that add to the value of a page, minimal number of
fonts, plenty of white space, picking colors for background and foreground
that are legible and easy on the eye, etc.  Anyone can see what graphics
artists can do in the way of garbage by looking at any issue of Wired
Magazine.  I find it unreadable and can't separate ads from content.  Just
because you may use a graphics desinger doesn't mean you have a good product.
What is most important is testing and being willing to change your design.

> This is part three of a website we'll demo tomorrow night. We will have a
> complete ascii version, ascii + icon, and this image map version which
> will eventually be 78+ image maps which is part of an MFA Thesis show in
> Graphic Design. This design project has an exquisite artist, actually two
> of them, from day one. The ascii version and ascii + icon version will be
> our concession to reality, 14.4 connections, and lynx, but the image map
> is the hunt for the future and we don't give a damn that you machine
> can't use this _yet_ ... we are assuming the speeds go up and the
> bandwidth widens and public information service will be the hottest thing
> around and probably coming thru public libraries.

Sounds good.

> After we demo I'll put up the ascii and ascii + icon url, probably some
> time this week end. We'll make it possible for anyone to not just _look_
> at our site but to actually _download_ and adapt the entire site in
> whatever form you like. We'll attempt to develop the design over time and
> provide support for people to customize the site for their use. It will
> be covered by a GNU copy free notice which means it's free to use and
> develop but can not be _sold_ in any fashion.

That sounds great to me.  I would be willing to test such a thing on my
users.
--
Wilfred Drew (Call me "Bill") Serials/Reference/Systems Librarian
SUNY College of Ag. & Tech.;   P.O. Box 902;  Morrisville, NY 13408-0902