Web Producers

Joe Schallan jschall at glenpub.lib.az.us
Mon Dec 4 16:24:30 EST 1995

The Big Glee Bopper wrote:

>The reason most web sites are almost unbearable in terms of
>enjoyable experience is because they a build by programmers and librarians
>who are _not_ also artists.

You give people the tools, and suddenly everyone thinks he or she is a
graphic artist.  The current situation is analogous to that time about
ten years ago when you suddenly could produce all manner of typefaces
and fonts on your computer.  Remember those letters you'd get -- the ones
using twelve different faces and several fonts of each, including outline and
shadow?

>There are two illusions in _information science_ the first is that this
>is all about _information_ when it is probably more about _communication_.

I recall some statement to the effect that the train business died because
the New York Central, the Pennsy, the Erie, et al., thought they were in the
railroad business when in fact they were in the transportation business.
Librarians think they are in the information business when in fact . . .

J.

Joe Schallan, MLS    jschall at glenpub.lib.az.us
Reference Librarian   (602) 930-3555
Glendale (Arizona) Public Library