Changing error messages

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.ohiolink.edu
Mon Dec 4 08:54:58 EST 1995

>404 not found, she asked herself.  Server not responding.  At what level
>are these messages "wired in?"  As in, if I wanted these messages replaced
>with other messages--maybe something novices could understand--what would I
>need to do?  Edit status messages built into the server software?  Based on
>my vague memories of running Webstar, I'm guessing that these messages
>occur at the server level, but is this so, and if so, are they coming from
>"my" server?  If I can't access <http://www.foo.com/>, from whence comes
>that message?  A local file?  Other considerations?

A couple of posters have already indicated that it's the server which
controls these messages.  In NCSA httpd, this is controlled by the
.../httpd/conf/srm.conf file.

FWIW, cogent help with HTTP error messages is just one of the many ways that
browsers could be developing.  A helluva lot more useful than building in
full-function mail clients or trinkets like <marquee>.  IMHO, needless to
say.

Thomas Dowling