sites for e-journals?

skindrf1 skindrf1 at teomail.jhuapl.edu
Fri Dec 1 08:08:11 EST 1995

Do people on the list have suggestions for good sites to link to for
access to electronic journals?  So many good publications are available
now--I'm wondering if Yahoo, or another web directory has set up a
"one-stop-shop" for such publications?

Any URLs or other suggestions are welcome.  thanks--  Molly Molloy
New Mexico State University
mmolloy at lib.nmsu.edu
Hi Molly:
Since there is enormous differences in the type and quality of e-journals and
because the needs of every organization are different, why don't you make a
customized list for your own clientele.

We did this by first establishing a few rules: 1. the journal must be related
to our mission, in other words, if it were paper, we'd buy it.  2.  It has to
be free or at least attached to something that we already get for a low cost.
#. It must be searchable and 4. must yield at least an abstract.

When we started we just put them up in alphabetical order but soon there were
so many that we broke them down by subjects and added brief commentaries such
as where the journal was indexed or its brand new or whatever.  In some cases,
instead of pointing to the journal we might point to a site with a particular
collection already assembbled like, perhaps Oceanographic Journals at Scripps.
In that case we acknowledge who the collection was built by.

Once you get started doing this its a pretty easy step to collecting electronic
reference materials and by then you are hooked.  Give it a try.  Its a lot of
fun and useful.

Bob Skinder
Library - JHU/APL
410-792-6000 ext. 4685