Netscape Kiosk

Carole Leita leita at netcom.com
Thu Dec 28 09:21:15 EST 1995

On Wed, 27 Dec 1995 gerryr at netins.net wrote:

> >>The point is to provide a public access Internet tool that...
> >>-does not allow the user to get him or herself (and the library) into any
> resources that the library would not select for access and...
> >>-does not cost $50 (surf-watch).

I'm not sure I understand your reasoning here, or, as you say on your URL
page:
"They will not allow the searcher unlimited access to the Internet"

What's to keep anyone from going to one of many fine resources on your list
and out to the Internet from there? For example - to the Internet Public
Library - then Web Searching - then to any of the search engines they list
and putting in any search term you want?

Why is this list of URLs any different than those on the home pages and
resource lists of many of the libraries on the 'net?

Re kiosk mode for Netscape - this eliminates ALL buttons - no way to get
back to your home page of nice urls without knowing the 'Back' key
command (there is no 'Home' key command and invoking it over and over
(depending on how far you've gone). And once one learns that key command
what's to keep them from learning CTRL-L (which opens the location box)
or, CRTL-O (which allows one to wander around your hard drive). I believe
Peter Gorman said it best in an earlier post to this list:

"That implementation of kiosk seems a bit...heavy-handed. I can imagine the
developers' meeting: "They want kiosk mode? *We'll* show them kiosk mode!"

Seriously, though, removing all graphical interface options seriously
cripples the application - No Back button? No Home button? Improving
security and maintainability can be done fairly easily (cf. the simple menu
hacks referred to earlier) without turning it into a DOS application (quick
- what's the key combination for 'Back'?)."

In a questioning mood...

Carole
Carole Leita, leita at netcom.com
Internet/Reference Librarian, 510-644-6100 ext.313
Berkeley Public Library, 2090 Kittredge St., Berkeley CA 94703