Java browser for Windows 3.1x

Peter Murray pem at po.CWRU.Edu
Mon Dec 11 10:34:10 EST 1995

Part of IBM's agreement to license Java is a port to the Windows 3.X
platform.  This little snippet came from http://www.ibm.com/News/ls951206.html:

  IBM has licensed Sun Microsystems' Java* programming language to improve
  the way customers view and interact with Internet content.

  We'll use Java technology in products like web browsers and web servers,
  as well as in Lotus Notes, the integrated messaging and groupware
  software. We also expect to port the Java technology to our OS/2 and AIX
  operating systems, as well as to Microsoft Windows** 3.1, expanding the
  number of industry platforms that support Java. We expect these ports to
  be available on the WWW in the first quarter of 1996.

  * Java is a trademark of Sun Microsystems, Inc.
  ** Windows is a trademark of Microsoft Corporation.

Now, granted, an interpreted, object-oriented language might consume more
(memory/CPU/disk) resources than the typical MS-Windows 3.X machine has,
but this could mean that it is possible, in theory...

Peter

--
Peter Murray, Senior Systems Analyst                       pem at po.cwru.edu
Library Information Technologies         http://www.cwru.edu/home/pem.html