Tick-tock...

Peter Harrer pharrer at GMAIL.COM
Wed Aug 13 14:39:11 EDT 2014

Dear Mr. Duncan,

I was quite taken with the announcements I've received from you through
Web4Libs. You have personality and intelligence and are not shy to express
them. (Though I do not know what you mean by "pirates", unless they're
hackers.) You impress me as an interesting and possibly an enlightening
person. When you said you're looking for creative types and for people who
think "out-of-the box" for the ILS Consultant position, I believed you. I
submitted for the position, knowing I might be terrific given my
background, but was quite respectfully turned down. Rejection is nothing
new; I've had far more than my fair share. Most interesting was the
rejection email I received. It contained the same, polite, well-phrased
text as I've received from many another organization*,"...we have several
applicants whose backgrounds relate more closely to our present
requirements, we wish to inform you that we are not considering your
candidacy further"*. How many times have I seen that same, exact statement?
It's amazing how little it varies. Do HR personnel all attend the same
conferences where they watch a PowerPoint presentation entitled, "How to
Phrase Rejection Notices in 10 Easy Steps"?

More to the point, what does this boiler plated text tell me?

It tells me that although you may be everything you appear to be in your
announcements, you are beleaguered by a hiring process and/or an HR
department FIRMLY ENSCONCED IN ITS BOX. They are capable of supplying only
those candidates that fit within their narrow margins. If you place
conformists in charge of hiring, all you'll get is a selection of
conformist candidates. Creative types and "out-the-box" thinkers will never
make it. We are too unusual to push their buttons.

Or maybe a few will make it through? I hope so.

Thanks for your consideration.

Sincerely,
PETER HARRER

On Fri, Aug 1, 2014 at 9:50 AM, Jim Duncan <JDuncan at clicweb.org> wrote:

> That sound? Either it’s a crocodile relentlessly stalking you…
>

> – or –
>

> an impending deadline to apply for our ILS Consultant position! At 10:52
> pm Sunday, applications are due.
>

> Is CLiC a kind of Neverland? Not really, but flying and imagination are
> well-rewarded when you work here!
>

> Details here: *http://tinyurl.com/pey4pjz <http://tinyurl.com/pey4pjz>*
>

> Jim Duncan, Executive Director | Colorado Library Consortium (CLiC) |
>
> http://www.clicweb.org/ | Ph: 303-422-1150 (office) | LinkedIn:
> jamesmduncan <http://www.linkedin.com/in/jamesmduncan>

> Web4Lib Web Site: http://web4lib.org/
>
> 2014-08-01