Program at ALA: Usability, the User Experience & Interface Design: The Role of Reference

Arlie Sims asims at COLUM.EDU
Tue Jun 18 16:31:27 EDT 2013

Usability, the User Experience & Interface Design: The Role of Reference

ALA Annual Conference
Sunday, June 30, 1:00PM – 2:30PM
McCormick Place Convention Center, room S403

The MARS Conference Program Planning Committee invites you to a program on the usability and the user experience in libraries in this era of discovery tools and other technologies.

How are we collecting data and observing behavior to improve these interfaces to better meet our user's needs? How can we learn from what other researchers are studying and use that data to implement change?

Panel members include:

--David Bietila, Web Program Director Digital Library Development Center and Gina Peterson, Human Resources,
University     of Chicago Library

--Lesley Moyo, Director, Research and Instruction Services and Tracy Gilmore, Technical Services Librarian, Virginia Tech University

--Elizabeth German, Web Services Coordinator and Kelsey Brett, Resource Discovery Systems Fellow, University of Houston Libraries

Each presenter will discuss how their institutions have implemented innovative changes to the user interface and address the role of usability testing,  data mining, and other research methods in their decision process.  Audience members will have opportunities to submit questions to the panelists.

The learning objectives for attendees are:

    Increased understanding of changes in users’ research habits;
    Introduction to methods of information/data collection beyond traditional usability studies;
    Learn processes for implementing change relevant for their own institutions.

The session will be held on Sunday, June 30, 2013 from 1:00pm to 2:30pm at the McCormick Place Convention Center, room S403.  Hope to see you there!

Posted by Arlie Sims, RUSA MARS Program Planning Committee member